Thursday, December 29, 2011

Old Brick Pit BBQ

It has been a very long time since we've posted about any restaurants on here.  Believe me, it's not because were not eating, in case you were worried.  Sadly, we've been a bit less adventurous and have really been sticking to what we know (ie. Panahar and El Senor Taco have been frequented many times in the last couple months).  Either way, a goal for 2012 will be to bring to light more restaurants in the Brookhaven area (new & established) that you may or may not have eaten at already.  Not that we are experts on the matter, just because we like talking about what we eat and taking pretty pictures.


I don't know if you've ever driven down Peachtree Street heading up to Chamblee (chances are you might have) and noticed this restaurant that looks like an old barn named, Old Brick Pit Barbeque (actually, the sign just says "Bar-B-Q").  Well I've passed it for years, always curious about the quality of barbecue it produces.  It flies relatively under the radar as far as barbecue in Atlanta goes, but still I felt that we should talk about it since it's been in Brookhaven since 1976.  They close around 7pm and I don't work in Brookhaven to grab lunch there, so it hasn't ever been a destination for us to try.  But being home this week, I happened to be passing by and decided to give it an impromptu visit (hence the crappy phone pictures).


Overall, the menu was pretty simple as far as barbecue goes and frankly, I feel that's the way it should be.  As far as meat goes, they offered regular chopped pork and pork ribs (and chicken apparently - I missed that).  I opted for a half slab of ribs (above) which were excellent.  Very tender and spiced just right - the meat pretty much melted off the bone.  The sauce is a vinegar-based sauce which, if you classify your barbecue by state, would make it North Carolina style, which isn't my favorite.  But I will say that it wasn't too runny which is usually what I dislike most about vinegar-based sauces.  Below is the BBQ plate that a friend let me snap a picture of.  Apparently the Brunswick stew was excellent - enjoyed by everyone at the table except me so I was upset I missed out on that.  


I can't say it was the best barbecue I've ever had but it definitely will cure a craving now and again - especially being so close.  I'm glad I finally got a chance to try it as I've been passing it for years, always wondering how it's still there and no one ever seems to be there (I apparently never passed it during lunch, it was extremely busy!).  People are always particular about what kind of barbecue they like or how they think it should be prepared so every place is worth a visit in my opinion.  


No comments:

Post a Comment